Department: Leisure and Cultural Services Department
Publish Date: 2021-04-19 09:00:00
Job Title: Summer Intern (Hong Kong Film Archive) - Post-Secondary Student Summer Internship Programme
Salary (Monthly): $10500
Salary (Hourly): $N/A
Salary (Daily): $N/A
(1) be permanent residents of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region;
(2) be students who will advance to the second year or above in local/overseas post-secondary institutions studying full-time Bachelor degree programmes of any disciplines in the 2021/22 school year;
(3) not be studying in or have just completed their final year of study before the summer internship period commences;
(4) be able to read and write both Chinese and English; and
(5) be proficient in Chinese typing and computer applications, such as MS Excel, MS Word, etc.
Preference will be given to candidates with knowledge in Hong Kong films.
Summer Interns will be deployed to one of the below Units to undertake the following duties:
(1) Acquisition Unit
- To assist in processing of acquired materials such as films, photo negatives, photos, handbills, posters and film stills from film companies including sorting, marking, stocktaking, unpacking and re-packing; and
- To input data of film-related materials into collection database.
(2) Conservation Unit
- To assist in data input of film and film-related materials inspection records;
- To assist in the logistic arrangements, implementation of relocation as well as stock-taking of films and film-related materials; and
- To assist in scanning of film-related materials and handling of archival collections.
(3) Programming Unit
- To assist in researches on paper and audio-visual materials and artefacts related to screening programmes and exhibitions;
- To write up texts for exhibitions and publications;
- To compile film lists related to film personalities and film companies; and
- To provide logistics support for events organised by the Programming Unit.
(4) Research & Editorial Unit
- To assist in research and compiling information, writing-up, proofreading etc. for the production of Hong Kong Filmography;
- To assist in transcribing interviews, proofreading transcripts, and compiling interview materials for the Oral History Project;
- To assist in compiling research materials and clippings into relevant film or film personality files; and
- To input and update reference materials on databases about Hong Kong films.
(5) Resource Centre
- To assist in compiling information and updating records of film-related materials;
- To assist in the arrangement and processing of film-related materials, including retrieving, checking, packing, labelling, sorting and shelving of audiovisual materials, periodicals, books, etc.
(6) Administration & Venue Unit
- To assist in and support front-of-house and venue operation including various venue facilities like Cinema and Exhibition Hall; and
- To prepare attendance statistics of docent visits, group visits, and film screenings.
Terms of Appointment:
Successful applicants will be appointed on non-civil service contract terms between July and August 2021.
(a) Candidates must be permanent residents of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region at the time of appointment unless specified otherwise.
(b) As an Equal Opportunities Employer, the Government is committed to eliminating discrimination in employment. The vacancy advertised is open to all applicants meeting the basic entry requirement irrespective of their disability, sex, marital status, pregnancy, age, family status, sexual orientation and race.
© Non-civil service vacancies are not posts on the civil service establishment. Candidates appointed are not on civil service terms of appointment and conditions of service. Candidates appointed are not civil servants and will not be eligible for posting, promotion or transfer to any posts in the Civil Service.
(d) The entry pay, terms of appointment and conditions of service to be offered are subject to the provisions prevailing at the time the offer of appointment is made.
(e) Where a large number of candidates meet the specified entry requirements, the recruiting department may devise shortlisting criteria to select the better qualified candidates for further processing. In these circumstances, only shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend recruitment examination and/or interview.
(f) It is Government policy to place people with a disability in appropriate jobs wherever possible. If a disabled candidate meets the entry requirements, he/she will be invited to attend the selection interview/written examination without being subject to any further shortlisting criteria. Applicants who have declared disabilities found suitable for appointment may be given an appropriate degree of preference over other applicants whose suitability for appointment is considered comparable to that of the former. The Government policy and other related measures on employment of persons with disabilities are set out in the booklet “Employ People Based on Their Abilities – Application for Government Jobs by Persons with Disabilities” which is available for reference on the Civil Service Bureaus website at https://www.csb.gov.hk under “Administration of the Civil Service – Appointments”.
(g) Holders of academic qualifications other than those obtained from Hong Kong institutions/Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority may also apply but their qualifications will be subject to assessments on equivalence with the required entry qualifications. They should submit copies of their official transcripts and certificates by mail to the below contact address.
How to apply:
(a) Applicants may indicate their preferred Unit on the application form for consideration by the Department.
(b) Hong Kong students studying in local post-secondary institutions should apply through the Student Affairs Offices/Career Centres of their respective institutions. You are advised to note the deadlines set by the respective institutions. Applications submitted directly to Hong Kong Film Archive office will NOT be considered.
© Students studying in non-local post-secondary institutions should download application form from the website of the Civil Service Bureau (http://www.csb.gov.hk/english/admin/appoint/782.html). Completed application form with copies of academic transcripts and relevant certificates should reach the enquiry address in person or by post on or before the closing date for application (according to postmark). Please specify on the envelope “Application for Post-Secondary Student Summer Internship Programme 2021”. Applications not made in the prescribed application form for the summer internship programme, or submitted by fax or e-mail will not be accepted.
(d) Applicants should ensure that the correct address is clearly printed or written on the envelope and sufficient postage is affixed before posting so as to avoid unsuccessful delivery of application. Any underpaid mail items will be returned or disposed of by the Hongkong Post.
(e) Late or incomplete applications will NOT be considered.
(f) Eligible applicants will be invited to attend a selection interview. Candidates who are selected for interview will normally receive an invitation within four weeks from the closing date for application. Candidates invited for interview will be required to produce the originals and photocopies of the supporting documents on academic qualifications for verification and record purpose.
(g) NO alternative arrangements will be made for those who fail to attend the interview and their applications will NOT be further processed. Those who are not invited for interview may assume that their applications are unsuccessful.
Administration & Venue Unit, Hong Kong Film Archive, 4/F, 50 Lei King Road, Sai Wan Ho, Hong Kong.
Enquiry Telephone: (852) 2739 2139
Application Start Date: 2021-04-19 09:00:00
Application End Date: 2021-05-03 18:00:00