Department: Department of Justice
Publish Date: 2021-03-26 00:00:00
Job Title: Law Translation Officer
Salary (Monthly): $70465
Salary (Hourly): $N/A
Salary (Daily): $N/A
Candidates should have -
(a) a bachelor’s degree from a Hong Kong university, or equivalent;
(b) an excellent command of English and Chinese;
© a minimum of seven years’ work experience in translation after obtaining the degree or equivalent mentioned in (a) above;
(d) a wide general knowledge and work experience in one or more of the following fields –
(i) legal translation;
(ii) court or other legal work;
(iii) editing or journalism;
(vii) Chinese law; and
(e) met the language proficiency requirements of Level 2 results (Note 1) in the two language papers (Use of Chinese and Use of English) in the Common Recruitment Examination (CRE), or equivalent (Note 2).
(Remark: Eligible candidates are required to sit for a written examination in translation. Candidates who have passed the written examination will be invited to attend a selection interview.)
A Law Translation Officer is mainly deployed on translating from one language to another language, English or Chinese –
(a) draft Bills and subsidiary legislation prior to enactment;
(b) documents required for the purposes of court proceedings; and
© reports of the Law Reform Commission and related materials.
Terms of Appointment:
A new recruit will normally be appointed on civil service probationary terms for three years. Upon passage of probation bar, he/she may be considered for appointment on the prevailing permanent terms.
(a) Candidates must be permanent residents of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region at the time of appointment.
(b) As an Equal Opportunities Employer, the Government is committed to eliminating discrimination in employment. The vacancy advertised is open to all applicants meeting the basic entry requirement irrespective of their disability, sex, marital status, pregnancy, age, family status, sexual orientation and race.
© Civil service vacancies are posts on the civil service establishment. Candidates selected for these vacancies will be appointed on civil service terms of appointment and conditions of service and will become civil servants on appointment.
(d) The entry pay, terms of appointment and conditions of service to be offered are subject to the provisions prevailing at the time the offer of appointment is made.
(e) The information on the maximum pay point is for reference only and may be subject to changes.
(f) Fringe benefits include paid leave, medical and dental benefits, and where appropriate, assistance in housing.
(g) Where a large number of candidates meet the specified entry requirements, the recruiting department may devise shortlisting criteria to select the better qualified candidates for further processing. In these circumstances, only shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend the written examination.
(h) It is Government policy to place people with a disability in appropriate jobs wherever possible. If a disabled candidate meets the entry requirements, he/she will be invited to attend the written examination without being subject to further shortlisting. Applicants who have declared disabilities found suitable for appointment may be given an appropriate degree of preference over other applicants whose suitability for appointment is considered comparable to that of the former. The Government policy and other related measures on employment of persons with disabilities are set out in the booklet “Employ People Based on Their Abilities – Application for Government Jobs by Persons with Disabilities” which is available for reference on the Civil Service Bureau’s website at https://www.csb.gov.hk under “Administration of the Civil Service – Appointments”.
(i) Holders of academic qualifications other than those obtained from Hong Kong institutions/Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority may also apply but their qualifications will be subject to assessments on equivalence with the required entry requirements. They should submit copies of relevant official transcripts and certificates by mail to the above address within one week after close of application period. Applicants who apply online should quote the online application number on the envelope and copies of the supporting documents. If candidates fail to provide the supporting documents as required, their applications will not be considered.
(j) Towards the application deadline, our online system would likely be overloaded due to large volume of applications. To ensure timely completion of your online application, it is advisable to submit the application as early as possible.
How to apply:
1. Application forms [G.F. 340 (Rev. 3/2013)] are obtainable from any Home Affairs Enquiry Centre of District Offices, Home Affairs Department or any Job Centre of the Employment Services Division, Labour Department. The said form can also be downloaded from the Civil Service Bureau’s website (https://www.csb.gov.hk).
2. Candidates should apply in writing with a completed application form [G.F. 340 (Rev. 3/2013)] together with a detailed job description with years of services relevant to the entry requirements © and (d). Applications submitted in person or by post should reach the above contact address on or before 9 April 2021 at 6:00 p.m. Hong Kong Time. For applications submitted by post, the Hong Kong postmark date on the envelope will be regarded as the date of submission of the application form. Late application will not be accepted.
3. To avoid delayed or unsuccessful delivery of applications by post, please ensure that the correct address is clearly printed or written on the envelope and sufficient postage has been affixed before posting. Mail items bearing insufficient postage will not be delivered to this Department and will be returned to the sender or disposed of by the Hongkong Post, where appropriate. Applicants will bear any consequences arising from paying insufficient postage. Applications submitted by fax or email will not be accepted.
4. Online application can also be made through the Civil Service Bureau’s website (https://www.csb.gov.hk). Candidates who apply on-line should submit a detailed job description with years of services relevant to the entry requirements © and (d) above by post with sufficient postage to the above contact address or by fax (fax no. 3902 8779) within one week after close of application period.
5. As invitations or notifications will be sent to candidates by email, candidates should provide an accurate email address in their application. Candidates are responsible for checking their emails to ensure that invitation(s) or notification(s) will be duly received.
6. Applications that fail to include the required documents, not made in the prescribed form [G.F. 340 (Rev. 3/2013)], and/or which are incomplete will not be considered. If no acknowledgement / confirmation email is received after seven working days from the closing date for applications, please contact this Department immediately by phone at 3902 8755.
7. Candidates will be required to take a written examination in translation. Those candidates who are invited to sit for the written examination will normally receive an invitation in about seven to ten weeks after the closing date for application. Those who are not invited for the written examination may assume that their applications are unsuccessful.
Appointments Team, Personnel & Establishment Section, Department of Justice, 8/F, West Wing, Justice Place, 18 Lower Albert Road, Central, Hong Kong
Enquiry Telephone: 3902 8755
Application Start Date: 2021-03-26 00:00:00
Application End Date: 2021-04-09 18:00:00