Department: Leisure and Cultural Services Department
Publish Date: 2021-03-12 00:00:00
Job Title: Beach Seasonal Lifeguard Training Scheme Recruitment Day (2021 Swimming Season)
Salary (Monthly): $10920
Salary (Hourly): $N/A
Salary (Daily): $N/A
Candidates should -
(1) possess a Pool Lifeguard Award or above issued by the Hong Kong Life Saving Society which should be valid up to 31 October 2021 or beyond;
(2) applicants possessing a valid First Aid Certificate issued by the St John Ambulance Association, Hong Kong Red Cross or Auxiliary Medical Service are preferable;
(3) attain a level of proficiency in Chinese and English languages equivalent to Primary 6 standard; and
(4) pass an eyesight test and the Ishihara’s Test for colour-blindness. (A candidate’s visual acuity should be at least 6/60, i.e. myopia not exceeding roughly 300 degrees. Wearing of plastic corrective lens and goggles with appropriate prescription while on duty is mandatory unless candidates have unaided good eyesight for lifesaving duties.)
(1) Applicants will not be considered if they possess a valid Beach Lifeguard Award or above issued by the Hong Kong Life Saving Society by the closing date of applications.
(2) Candidates without supporting documents of the Chinese and English languages proficiency of (3) above may also apply. There will be assessments of Chinese and English languages proficiency during the interview.
(3) The monthly salary of beach seasonal lifeguard trainee is $10,920. If he/she is appointed as a beach seasonal lifeguard immediately after successfully completing and passing the training and examinations as designated by the LCSD, he/ she will be remunerated with a maximum salary of a beach seasonal lifeguard at $19,560 (The salary to be offered is subject to the provisions prevailing at the time the offer of appointment is made.) with effect from the date on appointment to a beach seasonal lifeguard.
(4) Applicants who possess a valid First Aid Certificate issued by the St John Ambulance Association, Hong Kong Red Cross or Auxiliary Medical Service throughout the whole contract period of beach seasonal lifeguard as determined by the LCSD (on a single contract basis, excluding the contract period of beach seasonal lifeguard trainee) may be granted an additional amount of HK$300 per month as part of his/ her salary during the whole contract period of beach seasonal lifeguard (excluding the contract period of beach seasonal lifeguard trainee) as determined by the LCSD. To be eligible for additional pay as specified above, selected candidates who are offered an appointment as beach seasonal lifeguard must present a true copy of valid First Aid Certificate, prior to his/ her signing of a contract with the LCSD, and that the remaining valid period (calculated from the effective date of the contract of beach seasonal lifeguard) of that First Aid Certificate must be longer than or equivalent to the designated contract period of beach seasonal lifeguard as prescribed by the LCSD.
(5) The LCSD reserves the rights to modify, abort or cancel the Beach Seasonal Lifeguard Training Scheme.)
Beach Seasonal Lifeguard Trainee
The trainees mainly receive training in lifesaving and get familiar with the daily operation of the beach for the purpose of acquisition of Beach Lifeguard Award issued by the Hong Kong Life Saving Society. They are also required to offer general venue operational support during their attachment to any public beaches.
Beach Seasonal Lifeguard
(1) To ensure the safety of swimmers at public beaches of the LCSD;
(2) To rescue swimmers in distress;
(3) To maintain order; and
(4) To assist in cleaning work, etc.
The trainees will be arranged to receive related vocational training courses (provided by relevant professional institutions) and sit in professional examinations for attainment of the following lifesaving qualifications in their first month of employment –
(1) Open Water Rescue Basic Certificate;
(2) Canoe Rescue Award; and
(3) Beach Lifeguard Award
To encourage trainees to successfully acquire the lifesaving qualifications and serve as the beach seasonal lifeguards, they are required to deposit $2,500 for attending the courses and examinations. The deposit will be refunded to those who have successfully completed and passed the training and examinations as designated by the LCSD, accepted the direct appointment as beach seasonal lifeguards and completed the whole contract period of beach seasonal lifeguards to the satisfaction of the LCSD.
On abortion and cancellation of the Scheme, the LCSD will refund to the trainees the amount of deposit that they have paid.
The deposit will not be refunded to those trainees in any one of the following situations –
(1) those who fail to successfully complete the training as designated by the LCSD;
(2) those who fail to pass the examinations as designated by the LCSD;
(3) those who do not accept the direct appointment as beach seasonal lifeguards after successfully completing and passing the training and examinations; or
(4) those who fail to complete the whole contract period as beach seasonal lifeguards to the satisfaction of the LCSD.
Beach Seasonal Lifeguard Trainee
A trainee is required to receive training or work 45 hours net per week (excluding meal breaks) and to receive training or work irregular hours, overtime and shifts (including Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays). Actual training or working hours will be arranged by supervisors.
Beach Seasonal Lifeguard
The conditioned working hours of a beach seasonal lifeguard are 45 hours net per week and seven and a half hours per day (excluding meal breaks). The incumbents are required to work shifts during the period from around 7:45 am to around 7:15 pm according to supervisors’ arrangements or to work overtime. They are also required to work on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays. Actual working hours will be arranged by supervisors.
Terms of Appointment:
Successful candidates will be appointed on non-civil service contract terms.
The in-service training will begin in around the first quarter of 2021 (actual training period will subject to contract terms). Trainees who have successfully completed and passed the training and examinations as designated by LCSD in the first month will be appointed as beach seasonal lifeguards immediately after the end of the training. On appointment to beach seasonal lifeguards, they are required to perform lifesaving and related duties at any public beaches as deployed by the LCSD throughout the swimming season of 2021.
(a) Candidates must be permanent residents of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region at the time of appointment unless specified otherwise.
(b) As an Equal Opportunities Employer, the Government is committed to eliminating discrimination in employment. The vacancy advertised is open to all applicants meeting the basic entry requirement irrespective of their disability, sex, marital status, pregnancy, age, family status, sexual orientation and race.
(c) Non-civil service vacancies are not posts on the civil service establishment. Candidates appointed are not on civil service terms of appointment and conditions of service. Candidates appointed are not civil servants and will not be eligible for posting, promotion or transfer to any posts in the Civil Service.
(d) The entry pay, terms of appointment and conditions of service to be offered are subject to the provisions prevailing at the time the offer of appointment is made.
(e) Where a large number of candidates meet the specified entry requirements, the recruiting department may devise shortlisting criteria to select the better qualified candidates for further processing. In these circumstances, only shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend recruitment examination and/ or interview.
(f) It is Government policy to place people with a disability in appropriate jobs wherever possible. If a disabled candidate meets the entry requirements, he/ she will be invited to attend the selection interview/ written examination without being subject to further shortlisting. Applicants who have declared disabilities found suitable for appointment may be given an appropriate degree of preference over other applicants whose suitability for appointment is considered comparable to that of the former. The Government policy and other related measures on employment of persons with disabilities are set out in the booklet “Employ People Based on Their Abilities – Application for Government Jobs by Persons with Disabilities” which is available for reference on the Civil Service Bureau’s website at http://www.csb.gov.hk under “Administration of the Civil Service – Appointments”.
(g) Holders of academic qualifications other than those obtained from Hong Kong institutions/ Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority may also apply but their qualifications will be subject to assessments on equivalence with the required entry qualifications. They should submit copies of their official transcripts and certificates by mail to the enquiry address.
How to apply:
(1) Applicants should bring along with them the duly completed application form, the original of their Hong Kong Identity Card, the original and photocopies of their valid lifesaving award (Pool Lifeguard Award or above) and log book (photocopies of the log book should include personal particulars and record of the examination), and attend the interview on 18 March 2021, 10:00 am to 12:00 noon or 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm at Shing Mun Valley Swimming Pool, 21 Shing Mun Road, Tsuen Wan, New Territories. The interview quotas are assigned on a “first come first served” basis.
For those applicants who cannot present the abovementioned documentary proof on the Recruitment Day or do not meet the entry requirements of the position of “Beach Seasonal Lifeguard Training Scheme” will NOT be arranged for interview.
(2) Application Forms (G.F. 340 (Rev. 3/2013)) are obtainable from any Home Affairs Enquiry Centre of District Offices, Home Affairs Department or any Job Centre of the Employment Services Division, Labour Department. The said form can also be downloaded from the Civil Service Bureau’s web site (http://www.csb.gov.hk).
Appointments and Establishment Unit, Leisure Services Branch, 7/F., Leisure & Cultural Services Headquarters, 1 Pai Tau Street, Sha Tin, N.T., Hong Kong.
Enquiry Telephone: 2601 8713
Application Start Date: 2021-03-12 00:00:00
Application End Date: 2021-03-18 16:00:00